Shared Lab Manager Position at the Language Development Lab and the Childhood Thinking Laboratory: University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
The Language Development Lab directed by Dr. Christopher Fennell and the Childhood Thinking Laboratory directed by Dr. Patricia Brosseau-Liard are looking for a highly organized and outgoing person to serve as our shared lab manager. The Language Development Lab conducts research on language acquisition in monolingual and bilingual infants, with a focus on speech perception and word learning abilities. The Childhood Thinking Laboratory primarily conducts research with toddlers and preschoolers, investigating social learning and related cognitive abilities.
The Lab Manager will have the opportunity to work on all aspects of the research process, from design to dissemination. Research duties include, but are not limited to: managing research projects in the lab; creating stimuli; programming experiments; recruiting participants; testing infant and child participants, using behavioral and psychophysiological methodologies (e.g., ERP); conducting literature searches; coding and analyzing data; assisting with manuscript editing and preparation; and preparing conference presentations. There is the possibility of becoming a co-author on manuscripts submitted for publication. Administrative duties include, but are not limited to: recruiting, hiring, and training undergraduate volunteers; coordinating with graduate students on lab projects; managing participant scheduling; community outreach; recruitment and database management; purchasing equipment; hardware/software maintenance; managing Ethics files; assisting with expense and grant management; maintaining lab website; coordinating lab events and meetings; and general faculty support.
Required Qualifications And Experience:
· Bachelors degree or equivalent in psychology, cognitive science, or a related field
· Bilingual in English and French
· Citizen or permanent resident of Canada
· Minimum 1-2 years of research experience (preferably in cognitive and/or language development)
· Excellent skills interacting with infants and children as well as parents, and must be able to supervise undergraduate volunteers and research assistants
· Experience working with infants or young children and strong interest in cognitive, perceptual, and language development
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and SPSS or equivalent statistical package and willing to learn E-Prime, Praat, and File Maker Pro
· Excellent verbal communication skills in both official languages
· Strong organization and writing skills
· Previous experience working in and/or managing a developmental lab
· Training in experimental design and statistical analysis
· Experience with ERP technology
· Background in linguistics
To submit your application or to ask for more information about the job, please e-mail Dr. Christopher Fennell at email@example.com. Please be sure to include a cover letter and CV in your applications. Please also be prepared to arrange for two letters of recommendation to be emailed upon request.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with the goal of hiring the best candidate by September, if not sooner. Minimum 1 year commitment. The job will entail at least 25 hours per week. This job will offer a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.