Postdoctoral Research Position Opening, Spring 2016
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership
United States Military Academy at West Point
January 19, 2016
We are seeking a post-doctoral researcher for a new, five-year project that involves a collaboration between several departments at the United States Military Academy (USMA, West Point, NY) and the Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development at Tufts University in Medford, MA. The project is a mixed-methods, cohort-sequential longitudinal study of the development of character and leadership among cadets at USMA, funded by the Templeton Religion Trust (Co-PIs: Kristina Schmid Callina, Richard M. Lerner, and Michael Matthews). The position will be located within the Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership at the United States Military Academy (West Point, NY).
The initial appointment will be for two years, with the possibility of extension for an additional 2-3 years. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual able to work efficiently and productively in a fast-paced, multifaceted research environment. Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience conducting mixed-methods research. The candidate should be able to work successfully as a team member on some project goals and independently on others. Availability for travel is essential, as the candidate will be required to travel to Tufts University at least three times per year, as well as to conferences to present findings from the study.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Development of measures for studying character and leadership development;
- Data management and analysis of large sample multi-method data, including longitudinal data;
- Presentation of research findings at national and international meetings;
- Publication of research findings in peer-reviewed journals and special interest publications;
- Grant writing and report writing for funders;
- Facilitating cadet research projects that support the overall project;
- Contributing to general project oversight and management.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in a social science field with a focus on human development (industrial organization, psychology, sociology, child development, family studies, education);
- Knowledge of advanced quantitative statistical methods (e.g., confirmatory factor analysis, structural equation models, multi-level models)
- Knowledge of qualitative methods (including various qualitative data collection and analysis techniques, as well as familiarity with qualitative software packages, such as NVivo or ATLAS.ti) and knowledge of mixed method approaches;
- Enthusiasm for intellectual rigor and engagement;
- Excellent writing ability and publication record;
- Ability and willingness to work productively in a fast-paced and often demanding environment, with deadlines;
- Experience working in a team environment; ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, 2-3 publications, and the names and contact information of three references to: Kristina Schmid Callina, PhD. Email: email@example.com, Phone: 617-627-5203
Tufts University, Medford, MA 01255